Under the terms of Article 21 of the Statutes of the Portucalense University, Portuguese official journal, Diário da República, 2nd series – No. 179 – September 15, 2009, announcement No. 6952/2009:
- The Scientific Council is composed of twenty-five elected representatives, from among all the career Professors and Researchers, and other full-time Professors and Researchers, with a contract of not less than one year, who hold a Doctoral Degree, regardless of the nature of their contract with the Institution.
- When the number of eligible persons is lower than that established in the previous number, the Council shall be composed of all of them.
- The members of the scientific council are elected by their peers, in accordance with the law.
- The Rector, the Vice-Rectors, the Chairman of the Pedagogical Council and the Departmental Directors, who are inherently part of this body, are ineligible for the position of President of the Scientific Council.
- The Board will meet once a month during the academic year, but other meetings may be called by the President.