Quality Management 2017/2018
- 5 ECTS
- Taught in Portuguese
- Continuous Assessment
- relevant skillset
• Identify key quality benefits costs.
• Know the framework of the Portuguese Quality System.
• Identify the benefits of implementing a Quality Management System.
• Recognizing the difficulties inherent in the process and propose solutions adapted to the reality of the organization.
• Explain the different tools and quality management techniques and select the most appropriate to real situations.
• Recognize the benefits of integration of management systems (Quality, Health and Safety and Environment).
• Identify good Total Quality Management practices.
• Know the importance of allocation of national and international awards in the field of Quality.
• Recognize the importance and propose an appropriate complaints management system to concrete realities.
• Explain and offer quality tools appropriate to the specific context of service management.
Expositive and interactive lecture method for theoretical presentation of the themes.
Application of demonstrative methods and assets with analysis of real situations - case studies -and discussion in the classroom.
Discussion of the papers presented by the students, identifying the strengths and areas for improvement in future work.
Body of Work
1. Basic concepts and core philosophies of quality.
2. Quality Benefits and Costs.
3. Differences in Hospitality Services Quality.
4. Technics and Quality Tools.
5. Quality Management Models - Gronroos, Gap's & Servqual.
6. Total Quality Management.
7. Complaints Management.
8. Service Quality Management - Case studies.
David L. Goetsche Stanley Davis (2012). Quality Management for Organizational Excellence: Introduction to Total Quality, 7th Edition, Prentice Hall
Branco, Rui Fazenda (2012). O Movimento da Qualidade em Portugal O contributo da gestão da qualidade para a gestão global das organizações, Edição/ reimpressão, Edições Vida Económica.
Romana, Fernando (2013). O Gestor Lean, edições IPAM
www.apq.pt (Associação Portuguesa para a Qualidade)
www.asq.org (American Society for Quality)
www.caf.dgaep.gov.pt (Estrutura Comum de Avaliação – Common Assessment Framework)
www.efqm.org (European Foundation for Quality Management)
www.ipq.pt (Instituto Português da Qualidade)
www.iso.ch (International Organization for Standardization)
Presentation of the course
Tema | Basic concepts and core philosophies of quality.
Tema | Quality Benefits and Costs.
Tema | Differences in Hospitality Services Quality
Tema | Differences in Hospitality Services Quality (2)
Tema | Technical and Quality Tools.
Tema | Quality assessment models in Services: Gronroos
1 continuous assessment test
Guidance of practical work
Tema | Quality assessment models in Services: Gap's
Tema | Quality assessment models in Services: Servqual
Tema | Total Quality Management.
Tema | Complaints Management.
Tema | Service Quality Management - Case studies.
Tema | Service Quality Management - Case studies (2).
2 continuous assessment test
Guidance of practical work
Presentation of practical work
Demonstration of the syllabus coherence with the curricular unit's objectives
Towards students understand the importance and necessity of quality as comprehensive element of
product and business developmentin the hospitality industry, the first 6 points of the program will be stressed.
The importance of quality for the development of the hospitality and tourism sector and the assessment of different quality models will be achieved through the following content.
Demonstration of the teaching methodologies coherence with the curricular unit's objectives
The union between the theoretical exposition of the matter, with the participation of students, and the application of active and demonstrative methods allow students to familiarize themselves with the concepts and application to real situations, allowing students in particular to know the theoretical framework, the more tools relevant, the main challenges faced by organizations and appropriate solutions to real context.
The evaluation system adopted in the course also enhances learning because by fostering the analysis and discussion of problems in class and to enhance autonomous processes of learning and research, develops the skills of critical analysis and the student's argument.
|relevant generic skill||improved?||assessed?|
|Achieving practical application of theoretical knowledge|
|Analytical and synthetic skills|
|Commitment to effectiveness|
|Commitment to quality|
|Event organization, planning and management|
|Initiative and entrepreneurship capability|
|Problem Analysis and Assessment|
|Relating to others|