Management of Operations and Value Chain 2017/2018
- 5 ECTS
- Taught in Portuguese
- Both continuous and final Assessment
- relevant skillset
1. Explain the importance, scope and tendencies of Operations Management (OM) in the context of the functions within the organization.
2. Explain the role of OM in the organization strategy and describe and explain how the operations strategy is developed
3. Define product design and explain its strategic impact on the organization.
4. Identify and describe the different types of processes and explain their characteristics
5. Describe the basic elements of a supply chain and explain the aspects that affect the supply chain management
6. Describe the importance of inventory management for the organizations, as well as the various costs related to inventory management. Apply the inventory management models to real situations
Expositive method for theoretical presentation of the curricular unit content.
Application of demonstrative methods with real situations analysis and discussion.
Oriented problems resolution.
Discussion of the group work results with the students, indicating the strengths and the weakness points and suggestions of improvement for future works.
Mixed evaluation: Written work (50%) and written exam (50%)
Body of Work
1. Introduction to Operations Management (OM)
2. Operations Strategy and competitiveness
3. Product and services design and process selection
4. Supply chain management
5. Inventory management
Carvalho, J. (coord.) (2010). Logística e Gestão da Cadeia de Abastecimento. Edições Sílabo.
Chopra, S., & Meindl, P.(2007). Supply Chain Management: Strategy, Planning and Operations, 3rd edition, Pearson Education, Inc., USA.
Heizer, J.; Render, B (2013). “Operations Management”: Prentice Hall International Editions; New Jersey; USA.
Reid, R. Dan e Sanders, N. A., (2011), Operations Management: An Integrated Approach, 4th Edition, John Wiley & Sons
Demonstration of the syllabus coherence with the curricular unit's objectives
To achieve the objective 1 will be taught content 1. For the second goal, content 2 will be presented.
The third and fourth goals will be achieved by content 3. The fifth goal will be supported in contents 4. For the sixth goal will be used contents 5.
Demonstration of the teaching methodologies coherence with the curricular unit's objectives
The goals will be achieved by: the presentation and discussion of theoretical subjects, the students’ participation and arguing, and practical problem solving regarding the topics addressed in the classes. This method enables the students to become acquainted with OM and supply chain as well as its application in organizations context.
The assessment method adopted, by encouraging the problems analysis and discussion in the classes and by valuing the autonomous process of problem solving, enables the student to improve it analysis and argumentation capacity.
|relevant generic skill||improved?||assessed?|
|Adapting to new situations|
|Initiative and entrepreneurship capability|