Universidade Portucalense aspires to be a global institution and recognized for quality in the different dimensions of its activity: research, teaching and knowledge transfer. In order to do this, it seeks to have human resources with the highest qualifications and aims at a target audience not only Portuguese but from all over the world.
Universidade Portucalense’s mission is to contribute to the advancement of knowledge and human development through the production and transmission of knowledge and the provision of other services to the community.
This mission is pursued through several goals:
- Conducting research in search of excellence, creativity, and innovative solutions to the major challenges of society;
- Hosting or taking part in national or international scientific events, to leverage the research activity;
- Human development at the highest level, in its scientific, professional, ethical, cultural, and technical dimensions;
- Transfer of knowledge to companies, public institutions and other organizations, and provision of other services to the community;
- Realization of continuous training actions and promotion of entrepreneurship;
- Cultural, scientific and technical exchange with national and foreign institutions and bodies through the mobility of students, teachers and researchers;
- Conduction of educational and research programs in partnership with other institutions, national or foreign;
- Close cooperation with Portuguese-speaking countries for joint training, research development and service delivery programmes.
- Contribution to the social and economic development of the region in which it is inserted and to the knowledge, protection and dissemination of its cultural and natural heritage.
- Close cooperation with companies, public institutions and other organizations to promote the employability of UPT’s graduates.
Universidade Portucalense is guided by a set of academic and human values that define its identity and promote its efficiency:
- Intellectual freedom, providing an environment of creativity and innovation and enabling change and adaptation;
- Academic integrity, guaranteeing intellectual and moral independence to teaching and research;
- Diversity, promoting an awareness that values tolerance, mutual respect, and difference;
- Excellence, pursuing the highest standards of teaching and research, on the basis of a merit-based management model;
- Social responsibility, fostering collective awareness of commitment to social welfare in its social, environmental and cultural dimensions;
- Learning for life, promoting individual effort and continuous improvement;
- Efficiency in management, through the permanent evaluation of the activities of the university and its units and services. . Each member of the university is responsible for the continuous improvement of the Quality Management System, making this a shared responsibility for all.
EDUCATIONAL, SCIENTIFIC, AND CULTURAL PROJECT
The Universidade Portucalense’s educational, scientific, and cultural project is meant to link understanding and mastery of the intellectual tools in the areas of knowledge the University is devoted to with an attitude of intellectual curiosity, creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship. Therefore, the students’ autonomy and ability to solve new problems is fostered, preparing them to work collaboratively, to take the initiative, to coexist with risk, to create business, and to lead in a global context.
This project has an international framework, based on the centrality of research and its close coordination with teaching, knowledge transfer, and the provision of different services to the community. The internationalization strategy implies that a large part of the university's activities will be held in English.
Universidade Portucalense privileges in all its activities the cooperation with other institutions, national or foreign. Partnerships are designed to build scale, generate synergies, and increase efficiency.
These are the areas of expertise that guide training, research, the transfer of knowledge, and the provision of other services to the community: Law and Case Law Studies; International Relations; Economics; Business Sciences; Informatics; Psychology; Educational Sciences; Culture and Humanities; Tourism; Hospitality.
Training is organized in such a way that in the 1st cycle the student receives university training in broader areas of knowledge and that in subsequent cycles s/he can choose more specific training. To this end, the scientific research component already existing in the first cycle is reinforced in the second cycle, and the third cycle must develop the research skills of the students, in order to enable them to successfully contribute to the advancement of scientific knowledge.
Universidade Portucalense assumes itself as a centre of scientific production of excellence and creator of value for the community. Research is guided by a culture of epistemological and methodological rigour, in order to contribute to the advancement of the knowledge frontier. Based on the current state of scientific research, the university and its research units, through the personal performance of their researchers, actively participate in the development of innovative epistemological and methodological solutions. At the organizational level, priority is given to collaborative research in projects and lines of work with national and foreign researchers and research centres, promoting interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary approaches, and the globalization of knowledge.
The university is dedicated to the transfer of knowledge and the provision of various services to the community, actively collaborating with companies, public institutions, and other organizations. This activity is based on the interaction between supply and demand.