International Business 2017/2018
- 5 ECTS
- Taught in Portuguese
- Continuous Assessment
- relevant skillset
1. Analyze and systematize the phenomena of globalization and internationalization and their management implications.
2. Discuss different economic, political, cultural and legal systems and their impact on business.
3. Systematize and compare the different theories about the internationalization process.
4. Explain the process of firms internationalization.
5. Evaluate the different factors to contemplate in the definition of internationalization strategies.
6. Select and mobilize appropriate sources and data for strategic planning and decision-making in international business.
7. Formulate strategies and plans for internationalization.
8. Explain the fundamentals and challenges of managing multinational companies.
9. Analyze the insertion into global value chains.
10. Employ ethical principles and social responsibility in internationalization strategies.
11. Critically analyze and systematize the opportunities and risks associated with international business.
The classes include theoretical sessions and practical sessions. The theoretical sessions consist of the exposition of contents. The practical sessions will consist of the application of the knowledge transmitted in the theoretical sessions through the discussion of practical cases and texts distributed by the teacher and the analysis of diverse information (namely statistics). Also during these classes will be realized the presentations of the works realized by the students. There will also be seminars with guests on themes and cases relevant to the curricular unit.
The final evaluation consists of:
- attendance and participation in classes: 10%
- individual essay on one of the syllabus contents: written essay (25%), oral presentation (15%)
- carrying out a written group work on the internationalization of a company: 20%
- final test: 30%
Body of Work
1. Introduction to international business
2. The international business environment
3. International trade and investment policies
4. Process of internationalization of the firm
5. Evaluation and selection of countries
6. Export and import strategies
7. Foreign direct investment
8. Collaborative strategies
9. Management and organization of the multinational firm
10. Global production and value chain management
11. Ethics in International Business
Ball, D. A., Geringer, J. M., McNett, J. M. and Minor, M. S. (2013), International Business – The Challenge of Global Competition, 13th Edition, McGraw-Hill.
Bartlett, C. A., and Beamish. P. W. (2011), Transnational Management: Text Cases and Readings in Cross Border Management. 6th Edition, McGraw-Hill/Irwin.
Cullen, John B. and Parboteeah, K. Praveen (2010), International business : strategy and the multinational
company, Routledge: New York.
Hill, Charles W. L. (2013), International Business: Competing in the Global Marketplace, 9th Edition, McGraw-Hill.
Wild, J. J. and Wild, K. L. (2014), International Business: The Challenges of Globalization, 7th Edition, Prentice Hall.
Demonstration of the syllabus coherence with the curricular unit's objectives
Chapter 1 enables the achievement of objectives 1 and 2.
Chapter 2 reinforces the achievement of objective 2.
Chapter 3 is associated with goal 3.
Chapter 4 contributes to the pursuit of objectives 4 and 5.
Chapters 5 to 8 contribute to the achievement of objectives 6 and 7.
Chapter 9 contributes to the achievement of objective 8.
Chapter 10 contributes to goal 9.
Chapter 11 makes it possible to achieve objective 10.
All chapters contribute to goal 11.
Demonstration of the teaching methodologies coherence with the curricular unit's objectives
The lectures are primarily directed to the goals 1, 2, 3, 4, 8 and 9.
The practical classes are fundamentally directed towards objectives 5, 6, 7, 10 and 11.
The autonomous work supported by tutorials and translated in the individual test and group work is primarily directed to the goals 4, 5, 6, 7 and 11.
The seminars will be organized to promote objectives 5 to 7, and 11.
|relevant generic skill||improved?||assessed?|
|Achieving practical application of theoretical knowledge||Yes||Yes|
|Adapting to new situations||Yes||Yes|
|Analytical and synthetic skills||Yes||Yes|
|Balanced decision making||Yes||Yes|
|Event organization, planning and management||Yes||Yes|
|Foreign language proficiency||Yes||Yes|
|Problem Analysis and Assessment||Yes||Yes|
|Understanding multiculturalism and valuing diversity||Yes||Yes|
|Working in international context||Yes||Yes|
|Written and verbal communications skills||Yes||Yes|